Oatmeal with Homemade Apple Sauce
Oatmeal porridge is an ideal breakfast to make for infants and toddlers because it is full of fiber, calcium and protein. At i:Remnant preschool, we use organic steel-cut oats and top it off with homemade apple sauce that our infant/toddlers love to eat.
Here is how we make it!
Apple Sauce - Apples, cinnamon
Oatmeal - Steel-cut oats (1 cup), water (1 cup), milk (1/2 cup)
1) Place the peeled & cut apples in a slow cooker on low heat for 3 hours until the apples shrink to half its size. If you do not have a slow cooker, you can place the apples in a pot with a little bit of water and boil it down on low heat.
2) Mash the cooked apples until they are at a smooth consistency.
3) Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon powder to the mashed apples to add some flavor and it is done! Super simple!
1) Place the water in a pot and bring it to a boil.
2) Place the oats in the boiling water and cook on low heat. We like to cook our oatmeal for a longer period of time so that the oats become softer, which is easier for the infants to digest.
3) After the oats have absorbed all of the water and it has reached a soft consistency, pour in the milk and stir constantly until it is all mixed in. You can add more/less milk depending on your personal preference.
4) Serve the oatmeal with the apple topping! We hope you can enjoy this with your children at home :)